You will discuss your thoughts on the video Devil’s Playground, and explore different aspects of these young people’s moral development, including their moral identity. Please do the following in your paper:
- Explore Your feelings regarding Rumspringa
- Explore your feelings about Amish teens being asked to make the choice between joining the Amish church or living outside of the church and being ostracized by the Amish community
- Create educational implications for students who might be facing similar moral decisions by their families and communities. Please provide examples to illustrate your thinking.
Submit a paper which is 1-2 pages in length, exclusive of the reference page, double-spaced using 12 point Times New Roman Font. The paper must cite at least 2 sources outside the ones provided below and at least 2 from the ones provided below. in APA format and be well-written. Check all content for grammar, spelling and to be sure that you have properly cited all resources (in APA format) used.
Readings from this Unit
1. Carmen, M. del., Jurado, M., María, L. G., Jesús, J., Ruiz, O., … Mahia. (2019, October 22). Parenting practices, life satisfaction, and the role of self-esteem in adolescents. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(20), 4045. https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/16/20/4045.
- This article discusses the impact family can have on adolescents’ self-esteem.
2. Kohlberg, L. (1971). Stages of moral development. In C. M. Beck, B. S. Crittenden, & E. V. Sullivan (Eds.), Moral education. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. https://web.archive.org/web/20201114233851/https://info.psu.edu.sa/psu/maths/Stages%20of%20Moral%20Development%20According%20to%20Kohlberg.pdf
- This is an important read by Lawrence Kohlberg, as it discusses his stages of moral development that scholars continue to endorse.
3. Kohlberg, L., & Hersh, R. H. (1977). Moral development: A review of the theory. Theory into Practice, 16(2), 53–59. https://academic.udayton.edu/jackbauer/Readings%20595/Kohlberg%2077%20his%20theory%20copy.pdf
- This is an important read, as Lawrence Kohlberg reviews his famous theory on moral development in people.
4. Lovell, A. (1995). Moral reasoning and moral atmosphere in the domain of accounting. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 8(3). pp. 60-80. https://philpapers.org/archive/POWLKA.pdf
5. Prioste, A., Narciso, I., Gonc¸alves, M., & Pereira, C. (2015). Family relations and parenting practices: A pathway to adolescents’ collectivist and individualist values? Journal of Child and Family Studies. https://repositorio.ul.pt/bitstream/10451/15917/1/ICS_CRPereira_Family_ARI.pdf
- This article discusses the impact that the family can have on adolescents’ values.
1. S.H. (2017, April 6). Devil’s playground full movie snagfilms [Video]. YouTube.
- This is a critical film to watch as it follows Amish teens during Rumspringa, where young people are given the freedom to experiment and live like other teens. At the end of Rumspringa, Amish youth have to decide whether or not they want to join the church and commit themselves to the Amish lifestyle. This is a great video that explores several dilemmas Amish youth encounter during Rumspringa, including their moral identity.