You will develop a summary that you could use within an evidence-based practice (EBP) committee or related venue to share with your colleagues.
- Select (1) one of the following issues:
(1) One of the issues identified in Week 1 in Ironridge or Summerville,
(2) An issue pertinent to your practice setting.
- Search the literature and evidence-based practice websites and databases to find a recent clinical practice guideline (no more than 5 years) related to the issue you select. The course Webliography provides websites where you can find clinical practice guidelines, but there are many others available in specialty-organization websites. A good place to start is guidelines.gov.
- Analyze and critique the clinical practice guideline. Use the Clinical Practice Guideline Summary Template in Doc Sharing to develop your paper. Components include
- scope and purpose of the clinical practice guidelines;
- stakeholder involvement;
- rigor of development;
- clarity and presentation
- editorial independence
- Attach a .pdf file of the Clinical Practice Guidelines with your handout. If you attach the CPG late, you will receive a late-paper deduction.
- Note: The template is to assist you in setting up your paper so you will be sure to address those topics in your paper in addition to other information to meet the criteria for this assignment. Your paper should be in APA 6th ed format. Do not copy and paste the template into your paper.
The summary sheet is amended from the AGREE instrument on page 200 of Melnyk & Fineout-Overholt (2015). Your summary should be approximately 5–6 pages long.
Clinical Practice Guideline Summary Template:
Using the this worksheet which is based on the AGREE II instrument, evaluate your clinical practice guideline using these questions
Domain I: Scope and Purpose (Describes the scope and purpose of the document. Includes the health question(s) covered by the guideline).
What is the overall objective of the guideline? What is the scope and purpose of this CPG?
What health question(s) are covered by the guideline? Be specific.
Who is the target population (patients, public, consumers, students, etc.) to whom the guideline is meant to apply? Who are the recipients of the services outlined in the document?
Domain 2: Stakeholder Involvement (Describes the stakeholder involvement in the development of the document. Identifies the target population).
What professions are represented in the guideline development group?
How well were the target populations’ views and preferences considered and sought?
Domain 3: Rigor of Development (Critiques the rigor of the development of the document. Describes the systematic methods used to develop the guideline. Include level of evidence of the studies used to develop the guideline).
What systematic methods were used to search for evidence to develop the CPG?
What were the criteria for selecting the evidence?
What are the strengths and limitations of the body of evidence used to develop the CPG?
How were health benefits, side effects, and risks considered in developing the CPG?
What explicit link is present between the recommendations and the supporting evidence?
How was the CPG externally reviewed by experts prior to its publication?
What procedure is in place for updating the CPG?
Domain 4: Clarity and Presentation (Provides the key recommendations of the document. Discusses different options for managing the condition or issue in the guideline).
What key recommendations are presented? How specific and unambiguous are the recommendations? How easily identifiable where these recommendations?
What are the different options for managing the condition or health issue presented in the CPG? How clearly are they presented in the CPG?
Domain 5: Applicability (Identifies facilitators, barriers, costs, and outcome measurement for application of the document. Identifies key monitoring and/or auditing criteria (outcomes).
What facilitators and barriers to the application of the CPG?
How did the CPG provide advice and/or tools on the application of the recommendation into practice?
What potential resource implications of applying the recommendations have been considered?
What key monitoring and/or auditing criteria are presented in the CPG?
Domain 6: Editorial Independence (Discusses conflict of interest and how competing interests of the CPG group members recorded and addressed).
How are the views of the funding body kept from influencing the content of the guideline?
What conflicts of interest are possible?
How are the competing interests of the CPG group members recorded and addressed?
Summary: (Summarizes how the CPG answers the key clinical questions presented in the CPG. Discusses how the student, as the advanced practice nurse, would apply the CPG in practice).
Does the CPG answer the key clinical questions presented in the CPG?
How will you, as the advanced practice nurse, apply this CPG in practice?