Analyzing Organizational Structure
Review the following:
- Five Elements of Organizational Structure
- Mechanistic vs. Organic Structures
Choose an organization (workplace, sports team, etc.) to which you currently or used to belong, and answer the following questions:
- Identify the type of organization (e.g., restaurant, hospital, etc.), and briefly describe it along the following elements of organizational structure. Explain your reasoning with examples/evidence, and use bullet points or separate paragraphs for each element:
- Based on your description, does the organization have a mechanistic or organic structure (or somewhere in between)? Explain.
- Do you feel this structure is effective? Why or why not? Consider whether the structure fits the nature of the organization’s strategy, size, and environment. If it’s not effective, how would you change it?