Suppose that you have been hired by the university administration to design a randomized experimental study to assess the following hypothesis among undergraduate students: Attending weekly yoga classes leads to better performance on exams.Be sure that your study design addresses the following elements:
- Refine the study hypothesis so that it is as specific as possible and contains all elements of a “good” hypothesis. Remember that the design, conduct, and analysis of the study flows from the hypothesis.
How will you find and recruit participants?
- Are there any exclusion criteria that you would apply?
- How will you define the exposure of interest?
- How will you assign exposure? What will the unexposed condition be?
- How and how often will you collect information on exam performance?
- What steps will you take to maximize and assess compliance?
- What are the ethical concerns in this study?
- What other information would you like to know to design this study?
- Discuss how you would conduct the data analysis and design shell tables to describe the characteristics of the participants and the main study results.